FitKidz Running and Racing Program
SAR FitKidz has been running for 12 years strong!!! That’s right, Southern Arizona Roadrunners began the FitKidz running program in 2013 in order to provide experiences that start children on a path of being physically active for life. FitKidz aims to improve the health and wellness of our local community by engaging kids and their families in fun and healthy activities. Since the inception of FitKidz thousands of kids have taken part in a number of our free events and programs.
FitKidz is an inclusive program that encourages all children to come out and run or walk, regardless of their background and experience. With nine FREE one mile races offered throughout the year, the four-week FitKidz Running Club and the FitKidz passport program, there are opportunities for every child to learn, get healthy, run and have fun!
2024 FitKidz Running Club
2024 FitKidz Running Club registration is now open here.
The FitKidz Running Club is FREE and will promote and highlight improved skills over a 4-week period, focusing on progress over performance and enjoyment over competition. The kids will start out running intervals of 200 meters and grow the distance each week, culminating in a mile fun run. Each 60-minute session will start with a warm-up, followed by a running activity, a running game, and ending with a short nutrition or other educational activity. If this sounds just right for your little runner ages 5-12, join us for some running fun!
For 2024, FitKidz Club will take place at Reid Park (the parking lot adjacent to 22nd and Country Club) and Mission Manor Park (adjacent to the Boys and Girls Club).
FitKidz Club at Reid Park will meet every Tuesday and Thursday from 5-6pm starting March 19 and ending April 11.
FitKidz Club at Mission at Manor Park will meet every Tuesday from 5-6pm starting March 19 and ending April 9.
All FitKidz Club volunteers must complete Abuse Awareness and Reporting Training, access the training by clicking here. This training is mandated by Federal law and protects our FitKidz runners. Once you have completed the training, email your completion certificate to: email@example.com. The Abuse Awareness and Reporting training site is sponsored by the Roadrunners Club of America (RRCA).
*Note: Parents or Adults must stay on site for each FitKidz Club session that the child is attending.
FitKidz Mission and Vision
MISSION: The FitKidz program strives to promote the health and wellness of Tucson and Southern Arizona children through free, fun, and engaging youth running events and programs.
VISION: Our vision is to create and lead a vibrant and healthy youth running community that focuses on empowering children to be physically active and learn the skills to make positive lifestyle choices. We aspire to introduce children of all backgrounds to running and walking opportunities that enhance their health and well-being. We aim to be a regional leader in youth fitness programming and inspire the next generation of Tucson and Southern Arizona runners.
when you join FitKidz!
- Free FitKidz series t-shirt at your first FitKidz race (or until you grow out of your old one!)
- Official race timing and FitKidz race bibs (To be included in timed results you must pre-register your child online OR arrive at least 30 minutes before the race start if doing race-day registration.)
- Finisher ribbons for all participants
- Special awards for top three boys and girls at each race
- Hang out with our mascot Fitz the FitKidz Roadrunner
- FitKidz Passport Incentive Program: Kids will receive a passport to track their races and physical activity at school/ home. Plus they’ll earn incentives as they complete more free FitKidz races, including a medal if they finish 6 FitKidz races in 2024!
How Can You Help the FitKidz Program Thrive?
- Send a check to Southern Arizona Roadrunners with the Memo ‘FitKidz” to: PO Box 64215, Tucson, AZ 85728-4215, 520-812-0159
- Sponsorship Opportunities: Are you a business interested in becoming a FitKidz sponsor for the 2024 season? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. This series is organized 100% by volunteers so every penny goes straight into improving these events for the kids!
- Donate online when you renew your SAR Membership!
- Volunteer: Coming soon!