The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix
This twelve-race series uses a point system to tally results for all active SAR Members. All SAR members are automatically enrolled in the GP series and earn points based on age group placing in the twelve-race series. Your top 10 point results count towards GP results. Therefore, if you compete in 12 races your top 10 best finishes (in terms of points) will be counted.
For every event listed, only one distance is included in The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix series. For example, Dr. Gann’s Diet of Hope Cinco De Mayo has multiple distances; 10K, 5K and FitKidz Mile. Only the 10K is a part of the GP series.
Beginning with the 2013 Grand Prix, members need to complete 4 Grand Prix events in order to be eligible for Grand Prix awards.
Some races (e.g. Old Tucson Studios and Thanksgiving Day 5k) are held with separate events for men and women. In these races, members who participate in the wrong event (i.e. a man running in the women’s race) will not receive points for that event.
Your The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix age group for the year will be determined based on your age on January 1, 2020. This does not affect the age group that you participate in for individual races. For example, If you were born on January 15, 1989, you would be 29 at the beginning of the year and compete in the 25-29 age group for The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix for the year. Once you turn 30, you compete in 30-34 (or 30-39) age group at individual races but you remain in the 25-29 age group for The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix purposes.
Participants in The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix have one month from the date of a race to dispute the results of that race. If your name does not appear in the results, or you feel that the results are inaccurate, you should contact the race director to resolve the issue. All result disputes will be adjudicated by a Rules Committee consisting of the Club President, the Club Vice-President and The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix Committee Chair. If a dispute involves one of these members, the SAR Board of Directors will choose a replacement member for the Rules Committee.
Participants can win awards in only one category and will receive the award with the highest value. For example, if a participant wins in the Top 5 Overall Category and in the Age Group Category, they will be pulled from the Age Group Category and those below will be bumped up. For example, if a master’s participant wins in the Top 3 Masters Category and the Age Group Category, they will be pulled from the Age Group Category and will receive one award with the highest value. This change was made to standardize the awards across categories and to give a greater number of people recognition for their efforts throughout the year.
Everyone that is a SAR member as of January 1, 2020 will be automatically entered in The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix. To participate in The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix, you must be a SAR member by July 1, 2020. If you become a SAR member by July 1, 2020, all The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix races you have participated in will be counted retroactively. New Members who join after July 1, 2020 will not be counted in The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix results, but will be eligible for The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix in the following year. If your membership expires after July 1, 2020, you will be pulled from the results. On July 1, 2020 all results will be re-calculated based on the July 1, 2020 SAR membership list. Final results will be calculated based on a cross-referenced list of those who are SAR members on both July 1, 2020 and on the date of the Thanksgiving Cross Country Classic 5K.
Your 10 highest scoring races out of 12 will be scored.
The point system for each race will award 40 points for first place in a category (e.g. age group, overall or masters) down to 1 point for 25th place.
Grand Prix News for 2021
- Complete 6 or more The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix races in a calendar year and receive a super cool Grand Prix medal from SAR!
- Complete all 12 The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix races in a calendar year and received the super cool Grand Prix medal plus another gift from SAR!
- TMC Get Moving Tucson Half-Marathon, 5k and FitKidz Mile (Half-Marathon)
- 50th Annual Saguaro National Park Labor Day 8-Miler (8 miles)
- TMC Meet Me Downtown 5k Night Run and Festival of Miles (5K)
- St. Luke’s Home Spring Cross-Country Classic 5K- NEW DATE THIS YEAR ONLY- IN PERSON RACE! (This race is part of the 2021 SAR Grand Prix. Don’t miss out on getting those points!)
- Dr. Gann’s Diet of Hope Cinco de Mayo 5K & 10K – VIRTUAL ONLY (10K)
- Sabino Canyon Sunset Run – VIRTUAL ONLY (7.4 miles)
- Dave’s Run For ALS 2021 – VIRTUAL ONLY (5K)
- TMC Trail Challenge (4M)
- Thanksgiving Cross-Country Classic – 5K & 1.5 Mile Fun Run/Walk (5K)
- Jim Click’s Run n’ Roll – ALL VIRTUAL 8K, 1 mile, Wheelchair and Rolling Divisions (8K)
- Tucson 5000 & FitKidz Mile (5K)
- Sun Run: La Primera 5/10K Roadrace (10K)