Volunteering with SAR can take on a few different forms. We appreciate and are always recruiting volunteers to help us with our race day and other events throughout the year. If you are looking to volunteer in a different way, SAR is always looking for help on any of our subcommittees. Below is a list of typical activities our volunteers participate in.
Races & Events
- Pre-race packet pickup and registration – Help participants get their numbers. Usually hosted by a local business and is usually the day before the big event
- Race day and event setup – Includes putting up tents, signage on the course and preparing water stations among other activities
- Day of registration and packet pickup – Be a friendly face that helps participants get their numbers the morning of the event
- Course monitors – Typically the people you see spread out throughout the race course. They provide a nice cheering squad, make sure our participants stay on the designated paths and are there to assist runners if they need help on the course
- Water table – This team helps ensure the water is available to racers who need it
- Food table – Are you a wizard at cutting oranges or organizing granola bars? This is the spot for you!
- Finisher medals – Hands out the coveted medals at the end of an event to all finishers. Sometimes your arms might get a little tired from holding all the race swag, but we think it is worth the arm workout!
- Cleanup crew – These are among our heroes for the day. When the last participants cross the line, we begin to take down the small village of tents and tables. You don’t need to be able to lift a lot to assist with this position, but we always need help with this
These are flexible opportunities that generally require attending a meeting and liaising with the assigned subcommittees board member. Our subcommittees include:
- Marketing & Communications – We are in a digital age and can always use help with our social channels, newsletter and other innovative communication and marketing strategies
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – We are always looking for ways to increase representation in our membership, elevate voices and ensure that we serve all who consider Southern Arizona home
- FitKidz & Youth Programming – Love kids? This is the subcommittee for you!
- Membership & Recruiting – Help us grow!
- Philanthropy & Fundraising – Demonstrating impact in our community and leveraging funding to make a difference
- Health & Safety – Public health, safety and other protocols and recommendations
- Social – Help organize Happy Hour Hobbles, community events, etc.
Here is how the SAR volunteer incentive program works:
Races & Events:
- Volunteer at 6 SAR races for a minimum of 1.5 hours each
- Be sure to sign in at the SAR information tent if you volunteer. If you don’t sign in, your volunteering won’t count
- After you volunteer for 6 races you will be mailed a free SAR race voucher (good for any SAR race up to a $40 value with the exclusion of Sabino Canyon Sunset Run)
- Attend and participate in subcommittees for a total of 9 hours
- Subcommittees will take attendance, so no need to sign in for meetings
- After you completed a total of 9 hours of work with the subcommittee, you will receive the SAR race voucher (good for any SAR race up to a $40 value with the exclusion of Sabino Canyon Sunset Run)